Ambien is a brand name for zolpidem, a drug used to treat insomnia. This medication belongs to a class of medications called hypnotics or sleeping pills. It acts on the central nervous system to help you fall asleep faster and improve sleep quality. It is worth noting that Ambien belongs to the category of Z-drugs.
They have been replaced by a new generation of sleeping pills, the so-called Z drugs. Their name is so unusual because there are only three forms of these sleeping pills on the pharmaceutical market, and the names of all of them begin with the letter z: Zolpidem, Zopiclone, and Zaleplon.
Z drugs have proven to have many advantages over classic benzodiazepines. It was shown that they no longer affect the structure of sleep so much, above all, they do not inhibit deep sleep. At the same time, they provide both an acceleration of falling asleep and a prolongation of sleep time. That is, Z drugs have a positive effect on quantitative sleep indicators, while not worsening qualitative ones.
Such drugs have less potential for addiction and dependence than older benzodiazepines and much fewer barbiturates. Z-drugs also appeared to have a shorter half-life: they have time to be eliminated from the body before morning so that a person does not feel the consequences of taking them during working hours.
Properties and mechanism of action
Ambien belongs to a group of drugs called non-benzodiazepines. It works by binding to certain receptors in the brain that are normally associated with benzodiazepines. This results in a decrease in nerve cell activity that can interfere with falling asleep and promotes a rapid onset of sleep.
Ambien usually begins to work within 15-30 minutes of taking it and usually has a short duration of action of about 6-8 hours. It can be helpful for those who have difficulty falling asleep, wake up in the middle of the night, or experience insomnia due to stress.
List of side effects
Like any drug, Ambien can cause some side effects. Some of these may include:
- . dizziness
- . drowsiness
- . impaired coordination of movements
- . lethargy
- . digestive disorders
Remember, this is not a complete list of side effects, and if you experience any unusual symptoms associated with taking the drug, you should contact your doctor.
Benefits of Ambien
Ambien has several benefits that make it popular among patients suffering from this disorder.
- . Improves sleep quality: One of the main benefits of Ambien is that it helps improve sleep quality. This is accomplished because the drug quickly reduces wakefulness levels and promotes fast falling asleep. Because of this, patients can get better and more complete sleep.
- . Stimulates rapid falling asleep: Ambien acts very quickly, which helps patients fall asleep faster. Usually, the drug starts working in as little as 15-20 minutes after it is administered, which is a significant advantage over other medications that may require a longer time to take effect.
- . Reduces wake-up time: Ambien also helps reduce the amount of time a patient spends awake during the night. This allows the patient to get better quality sleep and feel awake and energized during the day.
- . Improves quality of life: By improving sleep quality, Ambien can significantly improve a patient's quality of life. Better sleep can lead to better moods, increased concentration, and improved productivity during the day.
- . Low risk of addiction: Ambien has a low risk of physical dependence, so it can be used for short-term purposes without the risk of long-term side effects.
It is important to know: you should not increase the dose without your doctor's permission, and you should not take it longer than recommended. In addition, you should notify your doctor about all medications you are taking, as some of them may interact with Ambien and lead to unwanted effects.
Ambien is a drug that can be useful for treating insomnia, but it also has some side effects and requires careful monitoring by your doctor. If you are having trouble sleeping, talk to your doctor to find out if this medication is right for you and how to take it properly.